Minutes – November 22, 2011

Suicide Prevention Coalition – Dublin-Laurens County
November 22, 2011

Attendance:
Denise Forbes, MS LPC (Deputy Director, CSB of Middle Georgia)
Dr. Thomas Rumble (Medical Director, CSB of Middle Georgia)
Tina Clements (CMHC – Adult MH/AD Services, Program Manager)
Donald Grigsby, Ph.D. (Veteran’s Administration, Dublin)
Amy Williams (CSB of Middle Georgia)
Marnie Braswell (CSB of Middle Georgia)
Ellise Tapley (CSB of Middle Georgia)
Brenda Yawn (Volunteer)
Lisa Montford (CSB of Middle Georgia)
Clinton Thomas (CSB of Middle Georgia)
Marlena Dixon (CSB of Middle Georgia)
Kris Taylor (Volunteer)
Georgann Hardin (NAMI)
Scott Warren (Volunteer)

The Suicide Prevention Coalition Dublin/Laurens County met today with 14 present. Denise Forbes opened the meeting with words of welcome.

Contact information (spreadsheet of addresses, emails, etc.) was distributed for review/additions/corrections as needed.

The sign-up sheet for sub-committee volunteers was distributed for updates. Georgann Hardin and Scott Warren signed on for the SOS Support Group Sub-committee. Georgann Hardin also signed on for the Youth Sub-committee.

A sign-up sheet was also distributed for volunteers to assist with operating the SPC exhibit table at the upcoming Resource Conference on December 1, 2011 at the Dubose Porter Center in Dublin.

The minutes of the October 25, 2011 meeting have been distributed and were approved by those in attendance.

Sub-Committee Reports

SURVIVORS OF SUICIDE SUBCOMMITTEE

The next regular meeting will be held this evening, Tuesday, November 22, 2011 from 7:00 pm until 8:30 pm in the Second Floor Conference Room at the V.A. Hospital in Dublin.

Meeting Schedule: The fourth (4th) Tuesday of each month at the V.A. Hospital in Dublin in the Second Floor Conference Room from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
Kris Taylor reported for the subcommittee. The members met recently for open discussion about the status of the survivor’s group and to discuss plans for future projects. Kris continues to discuss plans about scheduling speaking engagements in local churches, civic group meetings, etc. and will begin making contacts. Clint Thomas will check with his church to make arrangements for Kris to speak at a Deacon’s Meeting one Sunday morning.

Scott Warren has solicited approximately 20 authors to donate books to the local library that deal with suicide. Several authors have already responded. In a two-week period, Scott has received about 10 books thus far that are new or have current material. Scott will be presenting these books to the Laurens County Library. Denise suggested that Payton Towns be contacted to write an article about this. We will ask Gloria Bowen to contact Payton about meeting with Scott to compose the article and possibly print a picture of the presentation of books to the library.

Kris reported that the members are also discussing a Facebook page that will be used for positive information only. The page will be “locked down” to prevent comments from being posted. Scott will be able to help with setting this up. Cathy Morris with Healthy Start is very familiar with setting up Facebook pages and could be contacted to assist if needed.

Kris will contact the Courier Herald regarding “filler” space being utilized for promoting the SOS Group and the coalition. These “filler” spaces are a free service.

Plans are to begin placing pamphlets in local physician’s offices, police department, Sherriff’s department, and funeral homes. A drafted copy of this information was distributed for review.

Possibly sending out holiday cards was also discussed.

Dr. Grigsby reported that recently he provided an individual with information about the SOS group. At this time the lady has not attended; but was referred.

PUBLIC RELATIONS SUBCOMMITTEE

Website: http://www.stopsuicidelaurens.org. Email: mail@stopsuicidelaurens.org.
Rhonda was not present today. Denise gave a brief report about the awareness event. Rhonda has posted a blog and Michael Braswell has posted the photos and newspaper articles on the Coalition’s website.

QUILT PROJECT REPORT

Brenda Yawn again reported that she has three names and one photo for our Memory Quilt project. Sheri Mcguinness will assist us in getting the quilts constructed when we get enough to start one.

 

 

YOUTH/CHILDREN

Marquita Timmons will coordinate a Youth Advisory Council meeting. Hopefully the group can meet during December.
Youth Advisory Council:
Leondra Davis – 12th grade ELHS
Amy Peel – 11th grade, ELHS
Naya Archie – 10th grade DHS
Troy Ashe – 10th grade DHS
Catherine Bowden – 11th grade WLHS
Haley Morgan – 12th grade WLHS.

Marquita will also contact Trinity Christian School again for two representatives to be identified.

Funding
Reimbursement for the community event was submitted for payment from the FY12 DBHDD grant funds for $500.00 along with the 10/25/11 meeting for $200.00 and the November 3, 2011 collaborative educational event for $500.00, for total reimbursement of $1200.00.

We need one more event this year to meet the obligations of our grant funds. Hopefully this will be a youth oriented event and will be organized with input from the Youth Advisory Council.

Update on Training Opportunities – QPR

Marquita Timmons, Connie Smith, Sherrie Malone and Officer Brian Tapley continue to work on the development of the law enforcement training video. They met on November 8th at 1:00 p.m. TV35 has agreed to professionally film the role-play. The filming scheduled for November 17th had to be cancelled due to illness. Tina suggested that with the holidays it might be best to target January for the next filming. We will try to coordinate a date with TV 35.

QPR training for the school counselors is pending with Jakimva Martin to secure a date.

Suicide Prevention Community Event (FY12): On Thursday, November 3, 2011 (9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.), Dr. Grigsby conducted the continuation of training (Recovery Resources) at the Building 4 Auditorium at CSB of Middle Georgia. We have submitted an invoice for a $500.00 reimbursement from our grant. Several coalition members participated and attended the event.

Other reports/information/events:

Scott Warren has made contact to solicit involvement from Middle Georgia College.

We continue to seek a volunteer Project Manager for the coalition.

Strategic Planning Meetings will be held in December (December 5th and December 9th). Members who have volunteered to for these meetings have been notified. Any others who are interested may also participate to share ideas and comments. Strategic planning will address: education for the public/community; re-structuring the coalition; what do we want to accomplish; meeting the grant expectations; what impact are we making in the community; define goals; and set target dates.

Dr. Grigsby suggested that Dublin-Laurens should consider being a volunteer site for an annual coalition conference and training meeting for coalitions in the State of Georgia. Denise stated that this could also be part of the Strategic Plan goals. Denise will discuss this with Sally Vander Straeten.

Dr. Grigsby addressed the group to discuss TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). Handouts were distributed and Dr. Grigsby reviewed the information. TBI is the main injury identified within the current military population. There are a large number of TBI injuries in the U.S. Males are twice as likely to have these injuries as females. He reviewed TBI stats as diagnosed by the U.S. Military. Web page: ncptsd@va.gov – click on PTSD 101 for the most current information. A presentation on TBI was conducted in Athens, GA on March 1, 2012.

Judge Gillis recently contacted Dr. Grigsby to refer a Vietnam Veteran who is now placed at Coliseum Hospital in Macon, GA.

Dr. Grigsby reported on the suicide stats recorded by the V.A. Most of these had been previously seen by mental health counselors. There were 11 recorded for last year with nine (9) having been fully assessed with false negative results. The V.A. is in the process of re-writing their risk assessment tool. It will be standardized and used by all V.A. hospitals. He will share this tool with us, when it is finalized. There will be a heavy emphasis on social risk factors. These are currently not addressed and nothing is being done when risk factors are identified.

Denise reminded the group that Sally Vander Straeten plans to revisit our area to conduct training on Suicide Risk Assessments. Scheduling is pending at this time.

Georgia National Violent Death Reporting System (website)
Oasis (google this) Georgia Public Health death / mortality rates /morbidity.
Georgia Crisis and Access Line 1-800-715-4225 http://www.mygcal.com
Suicide Prevention Life Line 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:30 a.m. at the Community Mental Health Center, Building 5, 2121 Bellevue Road, Dublin, GA.

RSVP to: etapley@csbmg.com