REDUCING GUN USAGE IN SELF HARM
1. Find and use your Safety or Crisis Care Plan
2. Gun Locks are available in VA Police Dept.
3. Remove guns from home have family or friend take guns for safe keeping.
4.Lock all guns in cabinet, give key to family or friend.
5. Separate guns and ammunition
6. Dismantle guns, barrel and receiver in separate locations, remove bolt, remove cylinder, remove firing pin. Store dismantled gun dispersed around house.
7. Do not drink Alcohol- remember, guns and alcohol are Lethal combinations.
8. Buddy System- get with a good friend or close family member, agree on a gun safety plan.
GUN SAFETY PLAN:
Name __________________ Date ___________
Step 1. Recognize warning signs- Thoughts of using gun to harm self or others
Step 2. Use your self help skills- Repeat what you have done in the past , to stop this thinking.
Step 3. Get active– Separate yourself from gun, go outside, engage in something you like doing.
Step 4. Activate buddy system- list names and phone numbers of buddies or family you can call.
Name____________ Phone Number_________________
Name_____________ Phone Number_________________
Name______________ Phone Number__________________
Step 5. Call your doctor or Counselor-
Name ________________ Phone__________________________
Step 6. Call the National Hotline,1-800-273-8255, press 1 for military/veterans.
Step 7. Call 911, or drive or be driven to the nearest hospital.
On your next visit to the VA Hospital, or VA Clinic get your Nurse, Social Worker, or Doctor to help you write, and or review your Gun Safety Plan.